Tax season officially starts on January 30. This is the first day that e-filed returns will be processed.
Here are the key points we have received from IRS on this topic:
• The IRS will not process your tax return before January 30.
• This means the timeframe for issuing refunds will not begin before January 30. The IRS issues most refunds in less than 21 days from the day they receive your tax return for processing.
• Even though the IRS issues most refunds in less than 21 days, it’s possible your tax return may require additional review and take longer.
• Beginning January 30, you can use the improved Where’s My Refund? tool, which this year will provide personalized information about your own tax return.
• More info: http://www.irs.gov/Refunds/